Sunday, May 8, 2011

The love affair is over

Norah had a love affair with her Paci. If I am to be completely honest, I encouraged this bond because it made things so much easier. She rarely used her Paci outside of her bed for naps and night-time, but that was enough for her to develop an unbreakable bond.
Since she is approaching 2 and getting a mouthful of teeth, it was time to wean her off of her Paci for good. I was dreading the event. I knew she would cry and throw a fit for her beloved Paci. She was going to have a hard time sleeping, which would mean I would have a hard time sleeping. It was going to be bad.
I read tips online about getting rid of the Paci, I asked friends who had gone through similar situations. The consensus was to cut it out cold turkey; she would have a rough couple of nights, but be fine after 3 days. I was skeptical about the 3-day prediction since she was so attached, but we went ahead with the plan.
May 1st was the first night (no significance to the date). This first night was awful. Norah cried and asked for Paci for a full hour after bedtime. At times she was hysterical. I would occasionally go in to soothe her, but it didn't seem to help. She finally fell asleep out of sheer exhaustion. The next day she was cranky, moody and tired.
Night 2 was a repeat of the first, but she only cried for about 15 minutes. Night 3 there was a little whimpering, but otherwise she was fine. She did ask for Paci a few times but we told her it was gone, "Paci went bye-bye" and she seemed to be okay with that. By the 4th night there was no crying, no asking for Paci and she went to bed without a fuss. I can't believe it really only took 3 nights, but it's true.
Below are a few Paci pictures which show the beginning of the love affair up until the last week before Paci was gone forever.

Humble beginnings

Sleeping with Paci



Who let you have Paci outside of bed?

The last night with Paci

No comments: