Thursday, July 9, 2009

Oprah - here we come

There has been SOOOO much going on in our lives that would overwhelm just about anyone. One person even suggested we contact Oprah with our story. But seriously, it is amazing how much has happened in such a short period of time - any one of which would be a lot.
Of course no one plans to sell their house and have a baby at the same time. Unfortunately that is exactly what happened to us. Not just the same time, but both happened on the same day. July 2nd will always be special for us and will always be remembered.
A short synopsis of the events:
Wednesday evening, July 1st, I felt my first contraction at about 7 pm. They were annoying, but not bad or very regular. After about an hour, they were not going away and getting worse so we contacted the doctor and she told us to come in given my history of fast labor. We were admitted at 9 pm, dilated 3 cm. They wanted to observe me for 2 hours and see if the contractions progressed labor. At 11 pm I was 4-5 cm so they admitted me. The doctor came and broke my water then the anesthesiologist put in my epidural before midnight. I was having many contractions and was quite uncomfortable so the nurse checked me at 12:30 am and I was fully dilated and ready to push. (For those of you calculating, that was 5 1/2 hours from the first contraction and 1 hour from when my water was broken). A few pushes later, Norah was born at 1:09 am - without the full effect of the epidural, unfortunately.
With no sleep and the excitement of the evening, Jeff had to go home, finish packing our house and close on both properties at 3 pm that same day.
The next morning was move day so that was another stressful day. I missed the entire closing and moving process while I was in the hospital. I came home the next day to a brand new home.
CRAZY!!! I don't recommend anyone else doing what we did, but it all seemed to work out in the end.

No comments: